You probably have a weekly meal plan and chances are that you also have a monthly budget.
While planning our diet and finances is obvious for most of us, we don’t give our skin the same careful treatment.
Most people wing it, applying whatever they have on hand and buying products without much consideration.
That’s a recipe for dry, dull and rapidly aging skin. It might also be what’s causing your persistent breakouts and other skin problems.
Why You Should Have a Skin Care Routine
Having a comprehensive plan for how you are going to take care of your skin has many benefits.
- You’ll buy products that give you better results and no adverse side effects. Instead of buying products haphazardly, you choose those that are formulated for your specific skin type.
- It builds consistency. Moisturizing or exfoliating your skin whenever you happen to remember is terrible for your skin. A good skin care routine builds that consistency that keeps your skin looking and feeling good all the time.
- It prevents skin problems. Instead of trying to treat problems like acne or dryness once they’ve already occurred, a skin care routine can prevent them from occurring in the first place. This not only saves you the trouble of dealing with these problems, it also ensures you are not constantly paying for visits to the dermatologists.
- It keeps your skin healthy and young. Ultimately, the best anti-aging solution is consistently taking care of your skin. If you’ve been moisturizing and nourishing your skin for years, you won’t need expensive anti-aging products when you are older.
How to Create a Skin Care Routine
1. Know your skin type
The first step is to determine your skin type. It will determine what routine you follow and the products you use.
Your dermatologist can help you determine your skin type. You can also do it yourself at home.
Wash your face with a gentle cleanser. This removes any product and oils from your skin. Then wait an hour for your skin to get into its natural state. Do not touch it or apply anything as you wait.
After an hour, observe your skin in a mirror and touch it to feel the texture.
Dry skin will feel rough, flaky and scaly. It might look a bit dull because there isn’t much oil on it.
Oily skin looks shiny and feels greasy. If you look closely, you’ll notice that the pores are big.
Sensitive skin will itch or burn when you apply something.
Normal skin looks balanced – not to oily and not too dry. It also feels smooth without getting greasy.
You may also have combination skin where some areas like the cheeks are dry while others such as the T-zone are oily.
2. Choose the right products for your skin type
Normal skin is the easiest to take care of. You can use just about any skincare product without experiencing any issues.
If you have dry skin, it is most likely also sensitive. Avoid cosmetics with harsh ingredients like alcohol and synthetic fragrances.
Go with gentle products with lots of hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, shea butter and essential oils.
Exfoliate once or twice a week to remove the buildup of dead skin cells. This keeps your skin from getting flaky and scaly.
If you have oily skin, keep a bottle of face wash handy. You’ll need to use it twice or more daily to remove excess oil buildup. Face powder can also help prevent a greasy appearance.
Avoid products with oils as they may clog your pores and cause breakouts.
Don’t forget to moisturize often. Dryness will trigger your skin to produce more sebum.
3. Have a nighttime routine
Don’t just have a morning routine. It’s just as important to prime your skin for bed.
That’s actually the best time to apply moisturizers and nourishing creams. They have time to absorb deep into the skin without foundation and other products getting in the way.
Your nighttime routine should include a face wash to remove the buildup or products, oils and dirt.
4. Don’t forget about your diet
What you eat is an essential part of your skincare routine.
Eating foods rich in antioxidants, vitamins, healthy proteins and other nutrients will keep your skin healthy, smooth and firm.